Monday, May 3, 2021

Untitled.

 Today, I lost a student.

We weren't particularly close. I had him in class last year, the semester the pandemic hit. He was a nice kid, a good kid. He was conscientious. He was funny. He was small for his age, but he held his own. I'd only had him in class for a couple of months. An elective. Not a graduation requirement.
Even though I'm no longer there, in that district, I've been following his story. A freak accident at 2nd base, a collision sent him to the hospital for a week. It was scary. But now he was home, full of positivity, on the mend. A local celebrity on the news, fundraisers full of prayers and well-wishes. Thank god he was on the mend.
And then he wasn't. Somehow, something horrible, awful --there are no words-- something unfathomable happened.
He died.
And I can't imagine what his parents are feeling. His friends. His team. The kid he collided with. His school, his lunch table, his world.
Today, I washed and folded my own son's baseball uniform. His pants were filthy, from sliding into base. They are clean now.
My son has a game on Wednesday. He plays 1st.
I can't imagine what it is like to lose a child. I don't know how I would survive.
All I know is what it feels like to lose a student. And I sit and I hold my son's baseball socks in my hands and I squeeze them just a bit tighter, until I can't feel my fingertips.
And then I put the socks on the pile, and I look out into the darkness, searching for answers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!