Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 90

Recovery is Hard


I broke my ankle December 1st and had surgery December 9th. After months of PT, I started running again, slowly, about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday I was cleared for all activities. And yet.

Edoardo Frola Credit: Getty Images/Flickr RF
It is a long, uncomfortable process to regain my fitness. I've lost muscle tone. I've gained weight. And the more unfit I am, the harder it is to get back out there. 

I was swimming steadily, but then all the gyms shut down. I've been walking obsessively, but just ask my Freshman 15: it doesn't matter how many miles I walk per day, the weight will still pile on. Now, a solid COVID 19 later, it is clear that not much has changed in that area. With no access to cardio machines and no ability to do anything high-impact, I feel like I've aged 20 years in the last 6 months.

But I'm just making excuses. I can work out in my living room; I'm just embarrassed with a house-full of people always here. I have hand weights. I could do my PT like I'm supposed to. I'm not afraid of falling any longer, so I could get down my bike. There are things I could do.

And I am running again, just so much slower than I was. I got 1 1/2 miles in today and then it just hurt. I walked the rest of the way home.

I know that I'll get out there again tomorrow. But it's hard to come back. And I have so far to go.

Recovery from being broken takes a long time. It takes a lot of patience, a lot of work, and a lot of self-care.

But I know that I am worth it. I just have to get out there, dust myself off, and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!