Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 56

Cross One Off the List


I felt a bit selfish today, heading to Home Depot to buy a carload of PVC. I had placed the order yesterday, but it never got picked. When I called, they said they were so far behind, they might not even get to it today.  I wasn't entirely sure if it was better to fill the order myself, wandering around the store, or if it was better to attempt to pick up curbside. This order wasn't an emergency. It was a project. But it was a project I wanted to do, on Mother's Day.

You see, I've never had my kids on Mother's Day. Not since the separation and subsequent divorce. At first, years ago, it seemed kind of strange, or even sad, that they weren't here. But I've also never really had a love of holidays, never been date-obsessed. And with working so many years in the restaurant industry, Mother's Day was always just a hectic work day, where you ran a lot and made a lot and drank a lot when it was all over.

So, not having the kids today was the norm. And it gave me a gift of uninterrupted time. It was Project Time.

Off to Home Depot I went. 

In hindsight, I should have gotten a flatbed cart, instead of a shopping cart. Because 10' lengths of PVC tend to shoot off the cart randomly in the aisles, clattering to the ground. They also shoot of the cart randomly in the parking lot, nearly piercing the Prius next to me. But, I was a bit stressed, not only by having to pick the order myself --needing to find the exact items, since I'd already paid for them-- but also by wearing a face covering, which always makes me feel anxious, conspicuous, and clumsy. And Home Depot's aisle/bin/box system on the picking sheet is much clearer than the actual labeling on the shelves. I ended up matching aisle and price point on the items rather than sku #, because the shelving was a hot mess. Finally, after having to swap out several items because of a lack of inventory on the shelves (even though the website said they were in-stock in-store) and having to return/repurchase most of the order, I awkwardly rolled out the door, attempting not to roll into oncoming traffic and unsuspecting shoppers (and their cars).

After saving the Prius and loading up my Jeep, it was time to gingerly head home. Driving a stick shift, one-handed, while you hold on to 7 pieces of PVC so that they don't slide out the hatch and impale the driver tailgating you on the way home is not easy. Corners are tough. Accelerating is tougher. Hills are the worst. Between Home Depot and my driveway, there are 3 corners, 1 hill, and 7 stoplights. I hit them all. 

But, I made it home. And then, I made a kayak rack. It might be a bit wonky because I refused to be exacting (which drove poor Michael inside in frustration about 30 minutes into the project), but it's a kayak rack. 

I also randomly saw the kids when I ran to the hardware store for more PVC cement, and to the drug store for more beer. They were there with their dad, buying water and snacks. I hugged my son and embarrassed my daughter, just like any other hectic work day.

And now I can cross one more big project off the to-do list. Next up? Clean my desk. I'll do it tomorrow. Promise.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!