Thursday, May 21, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 67

Reaching for the Stars (or Going Down the Rabbit Hole?)


Apparently, I will do anything to avoid cleaning off my desk. Since I already built a kayak rack, this week I decided to start a business.

A week ago, I was sitting in the front yard with my daughter from another mother and a mutual friend, safely social-distancing, while we talked about graduates and graduation. It sucks that high school grads may not get their open houses, at least not at that sweet spot in the year when everyone is still in town and still thinking about school. And a lot of high school grads really count on that money to subsidize their first year at college. But going ahead with open houses isn't the right thing to do: needlessly endangering friends and family is no way to celebrate. I mused that someone should start a business, some sort of virtual open house business, so that the Class of 2020 could set up an open house online, maybe even a registry, and provide a way for their friends and family to celebrate them, maybe send them gifts, without having to leave their homes.

Photo by Marleena Garris on Unsplash
So, that's what we did. My daughter and I set up a website, complete with a store. I registered as an LLC, researched tax and sales tax laws; we spent way too many hours troubleshooting a coding glitch, and then went live with our idea: My Graduation Open House. At My Graduation Open House, graduates can set up a profile, post pictures, and write about their accomplishments and plans, all for free. They can share their profile link, and friends and family can visit their virtual open house, leave them notes of congratulations, and --if they so choose-- purchase gift cards that we will then directly mail to the graduates, along with personal notes from the gift giver.

We're not sure if this business will actually turn a profit; that will take some time. We're not even sure if this idea will catch on. But it seems like something that the Class of 2020 needs: a way to be celebrated, a way to connect with friends and family, a way to create that photo collage and talk about their future plans. And if it doesn't turn a profit, or even catch on, it was still time and money well spent. We believe in the concept; and for those kids who do sign up for it, we want to support them during this strange time of loss and celebration. We have learned so much in the last few days, both on the technical side and on the business side. We've set up a Facebook page, a Google ad campaign, an email campaign, and a pretty sweet-looking website. And we did it all in less than a week.

So if you are a grad or know a grad, come visit us at My Graduation Open House. Set up an account, set up a profile, and celebrate the Class of 2020.

Meanwhile, I'ma go take a nap.

Maybe tomorrow I will clean my desk.

1 comment:

  1. As promised, I'm still following the blog even without Facebook. I wish you and your daughter all the best with your business. I think it's a wonderful idea and shows a great entrepreneurial intellect. Thank you for your continued writing, it has been one of the highlights during our stay at home. All the best, Alex

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!