Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 37

A Quarantine Paradox


I haven't changed the timer on the thermostat. Everyday, Monday through Friday, it kicks down to 64 degrees at 7:30 a.m. Sometime around 8:30, I realize it's a bit cold, wander over to the thermostat, cup of coffee in hand, and override the timer.

I haven't deleted my calendar notifications. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I get a reminder at 5:30 that derby practice starts in 30 minutes. I swipe to the left, clearing that notification from my cache. Derby bout reminders still post on the weekends. Boy scouts meetings kick out weekly reminders. I haven't deleted any of them.

My Google calendar still reminds me of the scheduled fire drills at work, the tornado drills, the staff meetings, the lock-down drills, the scheduled half-days. I haven't deleted them.

Sitting here tonight, writing a blog post, listening to the "Mellow 70's Gold" channel on Amazon music, life is fairly chill. We ate dinner together. Michael thanked me for cooking, complimenting me on being able to cook a good meal from scratch without actually tasting it (see: vegetarian in a land of carnivores). Sam ate salad on purpose. He got seconds. Helena told me about her English assignment (SO much work, but she got it done). The kids argued over who got first bath. They ate popsicles. I choked when I took a sip of my drink and realized that I had accidentally layered the bourbon on top of the peppermint tea. A lesson in physics and bartending, as I explained to the kids about the specific gravity of liquids and how to layer a cocktail. Fleetwood Mac played in the background.

After I post this blog post, I'll clean up the kitchen, singing "Jolene" at the top of my lungs with Dolly. The kids will take baths. We'll watch some episodes of Community. I'll make another hot toddy, and remember to stir it this time.

Tomorrow, around 8:30 a.m., I'll realize that it's kinda cold in the house. I'll override the timer on the thermostat, and kick it back up to 68.
Photo by Felix Polgar on Unsplash

But I won't reset it.

Tomorrow, I'll get calendar notifications for recurring school and after-school events. I'll clear the notifications from my cache.

But I won't delete them.

Life is fairly chill; all is well. "American Pie" is playing on the soundbar.

I miss our life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!