Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 41

Recovery is Slow


I broke my ankle on December 1st and had surgery on December 9th. It's been 21 weeks. At physical therapy on Friday, they had me doing agility ladders and some plyometric work; definitely more impact than my own very slow running pace would be. So today, Dobby and I did some telephone pole intervals -- fast walk, then very slow jog, then repeat, with many sniff and sprinkle breaks in between for the dog. It was a nice, slow, easy 2 1/2 miles, and it was relatively pain-free. (We also successfully avoided accidentally sprinkling near the house of the angry neighbor.) I've got a long way to go before the Crim or Detroit, but I've also got time. Recovery is slow and often painful, but it is recovery.

I was thinking about this as I worked in the garden, making a "cardboard lasagna," and eavesdropping on my partner and my ex-husband as they chatted with the tow-truck driver out in the street. Nick had gotten a flat tire when he picked up the kids, and Michael called AAA so that we didn't have to deal with digging out a jack and a lug wrench, not to mention the frustration of changing a tire. When the tow-truck driver showed up, all 3 men stood out socially distancing in the street, and talked about cars. Ten years ago, I could not have envisioned my ex being cordial, let alone friendly, anywhere within my vicinity. But now, he comes over daily to pick up the kids, and chats on the couch with whomever is in the room. Five years ago, I could not have envisioned my partner living here with us, chatting with my ex and a tow-truck guy about cars. So many years later, we are all in a much healthier place. Recovery has been slow and often painful, but it is recovery.

Tomorrow, parts of the state of Michigan begin to reopen, although we all now have to wear face masks inside public buildings. Large garden centers and golf courses will now reopen, as well as specialty aisles of non-essential items, like paint. And yet, Michigan doesn't meet any of the criteria to reopen, according to the White House's recommendations. We haven't yet had a 14 day decline in flu-like symptoms and positive COVID tests; we don't have enough hospital capacity to be able to treat all patients, and we don't have a "robust testing program." But people are pissy. They want to go to their cottages up North. They want to buy paint. They want to golf. They want to fish in their motorboats. They want their landscaping done. And they want to go back to work. I only hope that this loosening of regulations doesn't slow down our progress or head us in the wrong direction.

Recovery from this pandemic is going to take a long time. And we are going to have to exercise patience and not jump the gun. Because a slow recovery, no matter how painful, is still decidedly better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!