Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries, Episode 16

Grey Skies and the DSL Dies


Today stretched our collective patience. All four of us were home, the weather was cold and damp, we all had work to do, and there wasn't enough connectivity and square footage to keep all of us off each other's nerves and out of each other's space.

As evidence, I offer up to you the various post titles I considered throughout the day:

  • Bandwidth Struggles IRL
  • IXL Can Kiss My Ass
  • In Need of Better Soundproofing
  • In Defense of Day-Drinking


The day started with a Jury Summons notice for me in the mailbox, a "you're out of Mobile Hotspot data for April" text message (it's still MARCH), and a glitchy router. I ordered pajama pants off Amazon because mine could probably walk on their own at this point, and then immediately felt guilty for endangering Amazon workers and small businesses everywhere because I was too lazy to put on real clothes. Sam melted down when I woke him up 30 min later than he'd written on his schedule, again when he remembered that he'd left his guitar at his Dad's, and repeatedly again over dividing fractions as he tried to teach himself 6th grade math online. Both kids refused to eat the homemade chicken noodle soup I'd made in the Crockpot for them and settled for hot dogs. I couldn't find a lid to fit the Gladware container I'd put the leftovers in. Michael got booted from his VPN with the State of MI in the middle of his workday. My seniors are distraught over the loss of their senior year, and I don't know how to console them. My attempts to conference with an AP Lit student to give feedback over an essay ended in a dropped Zoom and no audio. Prime Video wouldn't play the yoga video. Helena saw a stink bug corpse in her room. Katniss scratched all the whiskers off her face again. Dobby is depressed because he can't see and his nails are too long.

We are tired of being stuck in this house and of the grey skies, y'all.

But the afternoon brightened, a bit. I took the dog for a cold, damp walk. Sam got his guitar back. We were able to reset the DSL. When I clicked into T-Mobile's website, I saw that they were offering 20 GB (10 GB/month) of free Hotspot Data for the next 60 days. Sam was able to be part of a Zoomed surprise birthday party for one of his friends; they laughed and sang, and he played guitar and they danced around their living rooms. Helena started a book report and put her laundry away. I made bread.

And today, I successfully did a chaturanga (mostly) without flopping like a fish.

This shelter-in-place is a great test of our resilience, flexibility, and patience. It's hard to stay positive in the face of so much unknown. But I do know that we have our health, our home, and each other. As long as my liver makes it, we will come out of this stronger as individuals and as a family.

And the weather report says that sunshine and warmer temps will be here in just a few more days.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!