Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Coronacation Diaries: Episode 2

The "Nothing to See Here, Everything is Normal" Edition


It's hard to know what the right thing to do is in situations that we've literally never faced before. How do I meaningfully explain to my kid that I guess I"m okay with him being outside riding bikes with his best friend, but not okay with them being in the house? Fresh air and exercise and the limited friend group are probably okay, but closer quarters are not? There are so many rules and so many precautions and finding the rules that feel right for us (and for the community as a whole) is a continuously moving target. It was okay to eat out at our "home away from home" bar over the weekend. It was not okay to eat out yesterday. It was okay to swim at the Y yesterday. All gyms in the State of Michigan are closed today.

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1239892800138813446?s=20
Meanwhile, Ivanka is helpfully Tweeting artistically posed photos with advice to "throw a bedsheet over some taped together broomsticks. Plan a menu and 'pack' sandwiches, salads (S'mores optional)"; whilst my kitchen counter is a hot mess of electronics, bills, hairbrushes, and dog toys, and my kids wouldn't eat salads unless they were literally made out of S'mores. My daughter ate Nutella out of the jar and a hotdog for breakfast and I made coffee creamer out of almond milk, honey, and hot fudge (artistically labeled with painter's tape and Sharpee. Take that, Ivanka).


And now I will attempt to make soup out of chicken nuggets because that's what's in the freezer.

None of us really knows what we're doing here.

Except for the cat, who is stalking the mouse that lives in our stove. The cat knows. The cat is watching.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making me smile (as I avoid making one last video for eLearning tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know you. I just found this blog and I can't wait to keep reading your daily updates. Your amazing

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated. I will approve on-topic and non-abusive comments. Thank you!